Moz is a comprehensive SEO tool that helps SEO professionals track, research, analyze, and create reports to evaluate their content performance.
However, their standard plan starts at $99 per month, providing limited access to the features that SEO professionals need.
If you’re considering investing in Moz, it's best to evaluate if the features are worth the cost. Or if you should find other alternative tools for a relatively lower price.
In this blog, we break down each core feature to help you make a smart decision to improve your SEO performance.
- Moz is a popular SEO platform that offers tools like keyword research, site audits, link analysis, competitor research and more.
- One of the core features of the tool is keyword research. By analyzing search trends, it provides valuable insights into keyword difficulty volume and key term suggestions.
- Another standout feature of Moz is its On-demand crawl. This tool allows users to analyze the health and performance of a website.
- With Moz's link analysis, you can identify opportunities for building new high-quality backlinks and also discover any toxic or harmful links that need to be removed.
- In addition to these features, Moz also provides a website audit tool that scans your site for potential issues related to crawlability, page speed, mobile optimization and other issues that may negatively impact SEO.
- With Moz's tracking tool, you can monitor your website's performance, ranking changes, and keyword visibility over time. This data allows you to make informed decisions and fine-tune your SEO strategy as needed.
Here’s what you can expect in the upcoming section
- What is Moz?
- Moz Features Review
- Pros of Moz
- Cons of Moz
- Moz Rating
- Moz Pricing
- Moz Alternatives 2023
- Is Moz worth the cost?
What is Moz and how does it work?
Moz is a comprehensive SEO tool that helps businesses improve their search engine rankings.
It works by analyzing various aspects of a website, such as keywords, backlinks, and site performance and provides actionable insights and recommendations to optimize the site for better visibility and traffic.
Moz Features Review
Moz’s core features include keyword research, rank tracking, crawling, backlink analysis, and report creation. In the upcoming section, you will find a detailed review of these tools.
Moz’s Keyword Research tool helps you to find all the necessary keyword details like search volume, difficulty score, CTR, and priority score. It also provides insights into how competitors are performing for that keyword.
Moz’s keyword explorer tool includes overview, suggestion and SERP analysis functions. The keyword overview function lets you see the basic details mentioned above to help you decide if the keyword is worth targeting.
Secondly, the keyword suggestion function lets users find all the related keywords that appear in Google searches. It offers different grouping and advanced filter options to simplify the keyword search process. Users can easily group keywords based on relevancy and variations.
Thirdly, the SERP analytics tool provides a gist of the top-ranking pages of a specific keyword. Users can quickly get information like page authority, linking domain counts, and competitors' domain authority.
As all three play a significant role in ranking a page, users can evaluate if they can rank for a specific keyword with a high search volume.
The tool can even run a site-level analysis to compare users’ and competitors’ websites to find keyword and content gaps. This helps discover overlooked content opportunities or improve existing content to outrank competitors.
Moz’s domain overview summarizes website performance, including domain, brand, page authority, linking domain, ranking keywords, and distribution.
It also provides a gist of the competitor's website overview for all the metrics mentioned above.
Plus, it also lists all the well-performing content that ranks in different positions. Additional link insights with discovered and lost links chart, domains that link to the content, and frequently used anchor text details also give users an idea about the strength of the content.
All-in-all, this inbuilt domain overview complies with all the necessary website information in one place to ease the analyzing process. This report shows users where the website is performing well and what needs to be improved to boost its performance.
The competitor analysis tools consist two functions: True Competitor and Keyword Gap. Both let users find similar keywords that competitors are trying to rank higher.
The True Competitor tool generates a relevant competitor list, allowing users to choose the top 3 close competitors. This lets them find the keyword gap between their domain and their competitors’ websites.
The Keyword Gap tool generates a list of keywords that present the competitor's and users' positions for a specific keyword. This eliminates the manual work involved in analyzing competitors' positions and rankings.
The traffic lift features also estimate the expected traffic volume achieved when a user outcompetes the competitors' ranking in the SERP for a specific position.
Additionally, users can also access the top-ranking pages that competitors are already ranking for and performing well. This reduces the time spent finding relevant content opportunities and allows them to identify profitable keywords easily.
Users can choose to target the exact keywords as their competitors based on the traffic lift metric. Overall, this tool helps users quickly identify competitors' well-performing content and existing gaps. This tool can be handy if you’re struggling to find content ideas and outcompete your competitors.
Moz’s Backlink is one of the popular features as it gives an in-depth breakdown of both users' and their competitor's website backlinks.
This overview section provides detailed insights into linking domains, anchor texts, top pages, discovered and lost links. With this, users can get a quick idea about the strengths and weaknesses of a website at just a glance.
Besides that, it also provides a link spam score and lets users compare URLs to find the existing gaps and easily spot linking opportunities. They can quickly build their inbound links based on these detailed reports.
Moreover, the link intersect feature helps users find all the domains that link to your competitor's page but not your website. This helps in finding all the potential linking opportunities.
In addition to this, the link tracking lists allow users to maintain a database of domains or URLs that they want to link to their target page. This lets them keep track of all the link-building activities and facilitates team collaboration in SEO activities.
Overall, not many SEO tools provide such in-depth information about links. If you’re a growing brand planning to strengthen your SEO game, Moz’s link-building tool can be greatly helpful.
Pros and Cons of using Moz.
Apart from core features, there are other tools that make the tool even more powerful. On the flip side, the tool also has a few drawbacks.
Here is a list of Pros and Cons you should weigh before opting for Moz’s paid plan.
Pros of Moz
- The Moz campaign facilitates auditing and crawling all website pages and provides a detailed report highlighting the strengths and weaknesses from the SEO perspective.
- Multiple search engines access like Yahoo, Bing, Google, and Google Mobile.
- The crawling tools provided by Moz help you identify various technical SEO issues and errors occurring on your website, such as 4XX errors, metadata issues, crawler warnings, and redirect problems. By addressing these issues, you can improve the overall performance and visibility of your website in search engine results.
- Short summary and definition for each section of the report make it easier to navigate the tools. They can also provide definitions for each terminology and content resource to educate readers about unfamiliar terms.
- The On-page Grader helps users evaluate their published content to know what’s restricting them from ranking higher.
- Users can also run an On-page SEO check for competitors' content to know how they rank higher in the SERP.
- The tool also provides personalized suggestions backed by SEO experts to help users improve their on-page SEO.
- Moz’s keyword rank tracker allows you to see the rank of your published content and the volume it can ideally generate, along with its keyword difficulty metric.
- Moz offers the ability to generate reports in PDF format, allowing users to tailor them according to their needs. This feature provides flexibility and convenience for presenting data.
- One of the key advantages of using Moz is the opportunities it provides to outrank competitors. The platform offers valuable insights into your competitor's performance, allowing users to identify areas where they can gain an edge.
- Moz Local SEO tools help local businesses rank in their region and attract potential customers.
Cons of Moz
- The tool's paid subscription plans can be quite expensive, especially for small businesses or individuals who are on a tight budget. The cost may outweigh the benefits, especially if you are not utilizing all of Moz's features.
- The absence of content marketing tools like AI writers or content editors is a huge miss.
- While Moz offers a multitude of powerful tools, it can take some time for users to understand and navigate the platform entirely. If you are new to SEO or lack experience with digital marketing, you may experience a steep learning curve.
- All data related to SEO and competitors can be overwhelming for beginner SEO strategists.
- There are many SEO optimization tool that provides similar features for a relatively low price.
These are the top factors you should weigh side by side before opting for Moz-paid plans.
Now that we've explained all the features in detail, here is our quick rating for the tool based on our first impression.
What users are thinking about Moz?
Moz Positive Reviews
“The best thing about Moz is how complete it is. It has tools to begin a campaign (like keyword research or backlink figures) or information to monitor or improve rankings (ranking positions and visibility). I really like not needing to navigate to different tools constantly” - Chris C. (SEO Specialist); Source: G2.
“I am using MozPro for over 4 years now. I used almost all the features of the Tool including Website Auditing or link building goal creation. It helped me to analyze my websites requirements and changes needed.” - Dhara A.; Source: G2
Moz Critical Reviews
“The UI/UX is not very great. As, some other tools UI/UX is better than this and easy to understand.” - Dhara A.; Source: G2
“Its pricing is a barrier for many small businesses, startups, or individual freelancers, and when we compare it to other SEO tools, we might get a better deal for the number of features relative to the price.” - Sobia K. ( Digital Marketing Manager); Source: G2.
“It is quite an expensive tool, and while I believe it is worth it, this won't suit the budget of some companies. Also, with so many functions on offer, it's easy to get overloaded. It would be helpful if Moz promoted some as places to start for certain problems” - Chris C. (SEO Specialist); Source: G2
Alternatives to Moz
If Moz does not seem to fit your budget, here are the top 5 Moz alternatives you can check out.
Scalenut is an AI-powered SEO and content marketing platform that includes a keyword planner, an AI writer, a content optimizer, and other SEO tools.
It can assist you with the entire SEO lifecycle, i.e., content ideation, planning, creation, and optimization. Its basic plan starts at $39 per month with 1,00,000 AI words, 5 SEO articles, cruise mode, and SERP analysis features.
MarketMuse is an AI-powered content planning and optimization platform solely dedicated to helping businesses create tailor-made content strategies.
The key tools of MarketMuse include a competitor content analyzer, content planning, content clustering, keyword research tool, and content optimizer. Their basic plan starts at $149 per month for 100 queries, full page-level insights, link recommendations, and many more.
Outranking is an SEO tool that helps you with content ideation, optimization, and monitoring your content consistently to track and improve SEO performance. The core features of the tool include a content optimizer, an AI writing assistant, a content strategy builder, and a centralized hub to manage your content teams. Their basic plan starts at $69 per month for 10 SEO documents, AI writing, audit, and plagiarism checker with one user seat.
- Page Optimizer Pro
Page Optimizer Pro is an SEO optimizer that helps you plan and optimize an SEO-centric content strategy. Unlike many tools, Page Optimizer Pro does not claim to automate all your content-related tasks. The tool is designed to help you improve your current SEO performance with ON-page SEO tools. Their basic plan starts at $27 per month with 20 POP reports, POP EEAT, AI writer, NLP, and Watchdog credits.
- SE Ranking
SE Ranking is an optimization tool built especially for agencies and enterprise-level firms. In addition to the fundamental features, SE Ranking offers options like white-label data sharing, local marketing tools, small SEO tools, and many more.
The basic plan starts at $55 per month. It includes all the basic features like rank tracking, website audit, On page checker and SERP Analyser, Backlink Checker, Competitive and Keyword Research, and SEO Reporting with specific limits.
Which tool is the best?
Even though Moz provides advanced features, the pricing may not be affordable for growing brands and individual service providers. There are many affordable platforms that offer necessary SEO and content marketing tools at a relatively lower cost.
One of such many tools is Scalenut. If you’re looking for an all-in-one AI-powered SEO and content management tool, then Scalenut can be a perfect fit for your content requirements.
You can analyze your competitors’ content, SEO score, target keywords and use AI to craft rank-ready content using Scalenut’s AI-powered tools.
Moreover, in-built tools like cruise mode, content optimizer, keyword planner, and article writer help you rank higher on the SERP and gain topical authority in your industry.