The world of writing and content creation has undergone significant changes in recent years, driven by advances in technology and changes in the way we consume and produce information.
One such powerful technology that has shaped the entire landscape of writing is AI Writing Assistant.
A writing assistant tool is a piece of software that helps users improve their writing skills by offering an array of features and functionalities such as a grammar checker, punctuation checker, suggestions, readability, style checker, etc.
In this post, we will learn everything about this powerful technology, including its benefits and the best writing assistants currently available for writers today.
Who Should Use Writing Assistant Software?
Here are some ideal candidates for writing assistant software -
- Content marketers: To ensure that the quality and effectiveness of their content pieces are good and are SEO-friendly. They also use the tool to increase the visibility and reach of their content piece and drive more leads for the business.
- Copywriters: To ensure that their copies are clear, concise, and persuasive. They also use the tool to generate more effective sales copy and advertising messages that resonate well with the target audience.
- Email marketers: To ensure that their emails are error-free, easy to read, and engaging. They also use the tool to improve the open and click-through rates of their emails.
- Technical writers: To ensure that their instructions, user manuals, and other technical documents are clear and easy to understand. They also use the tool to simplify technical jargon and make it understandable to the common audience.
- Managers and executives: To ensure that the quality and effectiveness of all their business communications are spot on so that their message is clearly conveyed to all the employees effectively.
Top Benefits of Using AI Writing Assistant Software
There are numerous benefits to using AI online writing software. Here are the top ones -
- Better grammar and punctuation: The tool can automatically check for grammar and punctuation errors in your piece and even make suggestions on how to correct the errors.
- Improved readability: AI writing assistant software can analyze your text and offer elaborate feedback on the readability of your piece. It helps in making the content more clear and concise.
- Enhanced efficiency: The platform bolsters your writing speed and makes you much more efficient. It generates instant suggestions for better words, phrases, and sentence structures.
- Elevated creativity: It can help you explore new ways to express your ideas. It suggests alternative words and phrases. It is quite useful in eliminating writer’s block.
- Reduced errors: The tool can drastically reduce the number of errors in your writing. It can help you avoid embarrassing mistakes, especially with clients.
- Ensures consistency: The software can help you maintain consistency in your writing. It ensures that you use the right tone, style, and formatting not only within the same piece but also across your content pieces.
- Offers multi-language support: Some tools support multiple languages. This is quite useful for multilingual writers and translators working for global companies.
How to Use Writing Assistant Software?
Even though every writing assistant is different and follows a different process, here are 6 steps typically found in most of these tools -
- Create an account in the tool by signing up.
- Enter the primary keyword or the topic of the content piece.
- The tool will suggest subheadings, ideal length, and secondary keywords to infuse.
- Create content based on the suggestions within the editor.
- Make revisions and corrections based on the suggestions given by the software.
- Finalize your text and bring it to its final form.
There is one other way to use a writing assistant, and that’s through plugins or extensions in browsers. They provide instant access to multiple online writing assistants while you are browsing and thereby help improve your quality of writing on the go. This is particularly beneficial for those who do not want to open a separate window or tool to use the online writing assistant software.
The Best Writing Assistants for Writers
With that basic introduction, let us now look at the best writing assistant software currently available for use -
Scalenut is not only a powerful writing assistant but also an efficient SEO and content marketing tool. Scalenut automates everything from content research to writing as it is powered by robust technologies like AI and NLP. Scalenut has been carefully designed to ensure that even someone new to writing assistant platforms can use it right away.
There are three plans in Scalenut -
- The Individual plan is ideal if you are a blogger, marketer, or content consultant with limited requirements per month. It allows you 100,000 AI words in a month and gives you access to 40+ AI tools to streamline your writing process. It costs $17 per month.
- The Growth plan is perfect for young startups looking to push their content creation to the next level and grow quickly. It lets you generate unlimited AI words. You also get access to features like Cruise Mode, Instruct, and Paraphrasing with this plan. It costs $47 per month.
- The Pro plan is a great choice for big teams and organizations with multiple users. Besides everything in the Growth plan, you get a dedicated customer success manager to take care of your content needs. It costs $89 per month.
Pros of using Scalenut
- Scalenut comes loaded with numerous features such as SEO Hub, SERP Facts, and Topic Clusters, all of which not only help in generating quality content like blogs but also in making it SEO-friendly.
- Scalenut lets you generate unlimited keywords for as low as $47/mo.
- Scalenut doesn’t ask for any payment details while activating the trial version.
- Scalenut has an abundance of collaboration features, such as instant sharing of content outlines and finished content pieces with writers and editors, respectively, making it ideal for teams of all sizes.
Want to create top-quality blogs in less than 60 minutes? Check out our guide, ‘Artificial Intelligence Blog Writing: Use Cases and Tips to Create Blog Posts Using AI in 60 Minutes.’
Cons of using Scalenut
The wide variety of advanced features related to SEO and copywriting offered by Scalenut might be a tad overwhelming for new users. But Scalenut has taken care of this issue by creating a huge repository of how-to guides and tutorial videos that can be used even by beginners.
ProWritingAid is a popular online writing tool that aids writers in improving their writing style, structure, and grammar. The tool offers detailed feedback on your writing and helps you identify all the key areas for improvement. ProWritingAid can be instantly connected to tools like MS Word, Slack, and Outlook, to name a few. It even connects to social media tools like Facebook. Some of the most notable features of this tool include Overused Words Check, Advanced Grammar Check, and Passive Voice Detection.
There are 2 major plans in this tool -
- The Free plan comes with a limited word count of only 500 words. This might be enough just to experiment with the tool and select the paid version.
- The Premium plan costs INR 362 per month when billed yearly. This plan offers unlimited word count along with unrestricted access to all the features of the platform.
Pros of using ProWritingAid
- There is a free version available.
- It can be integrated with a variety of workflow tools to improve your writing on the go.
- The platform lets you set preferences for grammar checking, style checking, and readability.
- It also comes with a plagiarism checker.
Cons of using ProWritingAid
- The tool is focused more on creative writers than marketers. Hence, it might not be the best choice for business writing.
- ProWritingAid can sometimes flag errors that aren't actually errors or suggest corrections that don't fit the context of the sentence.
Grammarly is a writing-enhancement software that identifies and highlights grammar, spelling, punctuation, and other language-related errors. It can be used either as a standalone application or as a browser extension. Grammarly works with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and LinkedIn. The algorithm used by Grammarly is quite powerful and can catch errors that many typical spell checkers may miss.
There are three pricing plans in Grammarly -
- A Free plan that suffices for most kinds of users. It offers basic writing suggestions and tone detection. It catches basic errors related to grammar, spelling, punctuation, and conciseness.
- The Premium plan offers everything in the Free plan plus full sentence rewrites, word choices, tone suggestions, and citations. It costs $12 USD per month.
- The Business plan is suitable for teams and large enterprises. Apart from everything in the Premium plan, it offers features like Style Guide, Snippets, Brand tones, Analytics, and Single Sign On. It costs $15 per member per month.
Pros of using Grammarly
- The tool provides real-time feedback on your writing.
- It has a highly intuitive and efficient mobile version that is suitable for all mobile devices.
- Grammarly offers a clear explanation of errors.
- It also offers personalized feedback based on your writing goals.
Cons of using Grammarly
- Grammarly sometimes can’t understand the context of your writing in the same way a human editor would. As a result, there are plenty of times when it can’t give the most appropriate feedback.
- Some users tend to become too dependent on Grammarly. They end up not developing their own critical thinking skills in editing pieces.
Textmetrics is an advanced writing platform that enables users to create diverse and inclusive content. The tool’s state-of-the-art AI engine has the capability to provide company-specific suggestions before, during, and after the writing process. Textmetrics can be used as a standalone app and a plugin for tools like MS Word, Google Docs, and Outlook. It also offers custom integrations through its API.
Contact the Textmetrics team for pricing details
Pros of using Textmetrics
- Textmetrics comes with a free 7-day trial plan.
- It offers real-time writing suggestions.
- The tool displays an overall quality score for every content piece. The desired quality score can be set by you in your organization’s settings in the platform.
Cons of using Textmetrics
- There is no transparency when it comes to pricing.
- The tool hasn’t been created keeping content marketers or copywriters in mind, even though one of their use cases is marketing.
- It has a steep learning curve.
Dynalist is more an outline app than a full-fledged writing assistant. It is also a note-taking app that helps in organizing your ideas and thoughts in a hierarchical structure. The tool also supports a multitude of formatting options, such as bullet points, numbered lists, and checklists. This makes it a versatile tool for handling a variety of everyday tasks, such as brainstorming, writing, and project management.
There are mainly two plans -
- The Free plan lets you create unlimited documents and offers most of the basic functionalities such as dates, tags, checklists, internal linking, etc. However, it comes with only 5 bookmarks and no integration.
- The Pro plan includes everything in the Free plan plus unlimited bookmarks, Google Calendar integration, Custom CSS, and Version history, to name a few.
Pros of using Dynalist
- The tool has a substantial free plan with all the necessary features covered in it.
- The paid plan also comes with a free 14-day trial.
- It offers Dropbox and Google Drive backup.
Cons of using Dynalist
- It is more of a note-taking and outlining app rather than an AI-based writing assistant.
- There are no SEO capabilities.
- It has very limited formatting options.
- The hierarchical structure and formatting options might seem a bit complex at first.
Like Dynalist, NaturalReader is not exactly an AI writing assistant software. It is a text-to-speech tool that converts written text into spoken words. The best part about this tool is that it can convert texts into a variety of languages. It can be used to read books, web pages, documents, and many other types of texts. Some users use this tool to proofread their written work by listening to the text being read aloud. This will allow them to catch errors more easily.
There are 3 major plans -
- The Free plan is for individual use and comes with a lot of restrictions related to usage.
- The Premium plan is priced at $4.99 per month and comes with features like unlimited usage, OCR Camera Scanner, access to the mobile app, and a Chrome extension.
- The Plus plan is priced at $9.17 per month. It includes all the features of the Premium plan and additional features like 100+ Plus Voices and additional language options.
Pros of using NaturalReader
- It comes with a highly efficient proofreader.
- All the plans are priced competitively.
- There is a good free plan with all the necessary features.
- It comes with a dedicated mobile app and Chrome extension
Cons of using NaturalReader
- It is not really a writing assistant. It is more of a proofreader.
- It has no SEO capabilities
Scrivener is a word processing and project management tool from Literature and Latte. This writing helper is used predominantly by novelists, screenwriters, students, academics, lawyers, journalists, and translators. One of the popular features of Scrivener is Corkboards, which allows you to see your ideas and outlines at a glance. There is also a full-screen mode called Composition mode that helps you stay focused on your writing.
The platform works on a license model. A single standard license costs INR 5200, while an educational license costs INR 4420.
Pros of using Scrivener
- Scrivener has a 30-day free trial plan
- The tool offers multiple views (display modes), such as a full-screen mode that lets you write without distractions.
- You can also export content in a variety of formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft, or plain text.
Cons of using Scrivener
- The tool is not tailored to marketers.
- It doesn’t have any SEO capabilities.
Wordtune is a novel rewriting tool that is also used as a writing assistant tool by many. The tool comes loaded with many interesting features that make the lives of writers easier. For example, the Paragraph Rewrite feature rewrites an entire paragraph with an option to change it sentence by sentence or word by word. The tool can be used as a standalone application or as an add-in for Microsoft Word.
There are three main plans -
- The Free plan is ideal for individuals with limited content needs. It gives you 10 rewrites per day which should be sufficient for most people.
- The Premium plan costs $9.99 per month and comes with unlimited rewrites, including paragraph rewrite and premium support.
- There is also a Team plan that offers all the features of the Premium plan plus a team billing option. You need to contact the Wordttune team for pricing details.
Pros of using Wordtune
- There is a free plan with access to the rewriter functionality.
- There is an add-on for browsers, including Chrome and Edge.
- It can translate Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Hindi, Korean, Hebrew, or Russian into English.
Cons of using Wordtune
- It doesn’t have any SEO capabilities such as keyword analysis, NLP terms, or SERP ideas.
- While rewriting, the tool often changes the meaning of the text.
LanguageTool is a smart writing helper that checks for spelling and grammar issues in real-time. It also captures style issues and highlights to users to make necessary corrections. The best part about this platform is its wide array of plugins and add-ons for different browsers and various word-processing tools. The tool also offers an AI-based rephrasing function in addition to correction.
There are three plans -
- The Free plan is ideal for beginners who would like to explore the tool without paying anything. It has a restriction in terms of the number of characters you can check and the number of rephrasings you can perform in a day.
- The Individual Users plan is priced competitively at INR 91.58 per month. It lets you check 150,000 characters per text field and also comes with additional features like Add-in for Microsoft Word and Docs.
- The Teams plan is priced at INR 174.01 per month. It has all the features of the Individual plan plus a Team Style Guide and a Team Dictionary.
Pros of using LanguageTool
- It packs in a wide variety of add-ons and plugins
- Supports both Windows and Mac.
- One of the few tools in the market that detects incorrect numbers (e.g., IBAN, ISBN, etc.)
Cons of using LanguageTool
- It can get less accurate when working with more complex texts
- No SEO capabilities like keyword analysis, NLP terms, SERP ideas, etc.
Author is a writing tool that has been created for macOS users. Despite lacking most of the features required in a writing assistant, it is still a popular tool for writers all around the world due to some handy features like Integrated Concept Map that allows you to map your thoughts and write in the same workflow with the same text. Another popular feature is Quick Citations, which automates the adding and managing of citations in your content.
It is available to purchase at a flat fee of INR 2599 in the App Store. There is also a free trial available.
Pros of using Author
- It comes in multiple modes, such as light and dark mode, focus mode and more. These modes let you change your writing environment within the tool so that you can write better.
- It is very minimalistic and is not cluttered, making you focus only on writing.
- It has a beginner-friendly user interface.
Cons of using Author
- Author works only with macOS.
- It cannot be accessed through your web browser.
- It doesn’t have most of the capabilities required of an AI writing assistant, such as a thesaurus, grammar checker, rewriter, etc.
Reedsy is an online tool that bridges authors and professionals in the book publishing industry. The platform offers a plethora of services for authors, including cover design, book editing, formatting, and distribution. One of the popular services offered by Reedsy is a collaborative free tool that takes care of formatting and publishing even before you finish writing.
It is completely free of charge.
Pros of using Reedsy
- Apart from the free writing assistant, this tool offers a bunch of other services, such as finding an editor, designer, marketer, etc., making it a one-stop solution for all authors.
- It’s free.
- It comes with a repository of blogs and tutorial videos to help you become an accomplished writer.
Cons of using Reedsy
- It is not a full-fledged writing assistant. It is a book publishing tool.
- Even if you are using it for publishing a book, you need to do most of the work manually, as it just guides you in the right direction.
12. Zoho Writer
Zoho Writer is a word processing tool from the house of Zoho Corporation. It is a part of the Zoho Office Suite and enables users to create, edit, and share documents online. It supports multiple file formats such as .doc, .docx, .odt, and .rtf. It also comes equipped with some collaboration features like real-time co-editing, version control, and commenting. Such features ensure that multiple users can work on the same document at the same time.
It works on a credit-based system. You get 1000 credits per month for free.
Pros of using Zoho Writer
- Zoho Writer comes with a built-in chat feature and the ability to assign tasks to others.
- It has some useful collaboration features such as collaborative reviews, comments, track changes, etc., even in the free plan.
- It comes loaded with plenty of templates that are not available in other popular word processors.
Cons of using Zoho Writer
- It is not as feature-rich or advanced as some other word-processing software.
- It doesn’t correct errors or make suggestions related to grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.
- The interface is cluttered.
LibreOffice is an open-source office suite that offers a variety of software for creating and editing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and more. It supports many file formats, including those used by Microsoft Office. LibreOffice is often considered one of the best free Microsoft Office alternatives, as it has many of the features and functions of MS Office. The Writer software, in particular, can be used to create anything from a quick memo to complete books with contents, diagrams, indexes, and more.
The tool is completely free to use.
Pros of using LibreOffice
- It is a free writing assistant.
- The platform is developed and maintained by a large community of developers who contribute to its ongoing development and improvement.
- LibreOffice also has a wide variety of extensions that allows users to customize and add features to their liking.
Cons of using LibreOffice
- The interface is not as intuitive as Microsoft Office.
- The performance is low on less powerful computers.
- It doesn’t offer features like spell check, grammar check, or style check.
14. Hemingway Editor
Hemingway is a writing assistant designed to help users improve the readability and clarity of their content piece. It comes in two formats - a web-based application and a desktop app. The tool checks for issues with grammar, sentence structure, and vocabulary. It also gives suggestions on sentence structure, usage of adverbs, passive voice, and complex words to make your writing simple, clear, and bold.
The online app version is free, while the desktop app is $19.99
Pros of using Hemmingway Editor
- It provides a readability score and shows how many hard-to-read sentences you have.
- It has a wide range of use cases, such as writing emails, blog posts, articles, essays, and even fiction.
- It is beginner-friendly
Cons of using Hemmingway Editor
- It can be a bit stringent in its suggestions and editing. In other words, many of its suggestions are not necessary for real-life writing.
- It doesn’t come with features like outlines, note-taking, research tools, or version control.
- The suggestions provided by this tool may not always be appropriate for the intended audience or purpose of the writing.
Want to know the secret to boosting your grades in essays? Check out our insider’s guide, ‘15 Best Essay Writing Apps That Helps You Boost Your Grades.’
Want to see how writing assistant by Scalenut can help you?
Now that you have been introduced to some of the best AI writing assistant software currently available, it is time to pick a tool for your needs. Make sure to select a platform that not only offers writing assistance but also offers advanced SEO capabilities. Most importantly, it should be able to automate various sections of your writing process. The only tool that checks all the above boxes is Scalenut.
Want to see how the writing assistant by Scalenut can help you? Click here to sign up for free.